Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Write what you know

Cliche advice but it's the truth.  As a songwriter, the most convincing lyrics come from experience.  Isn't that why there are so many songs about love because most of us have either been in love or suffered heartbreak?  When I write, many of my "love" songs are inspired by my kids.  I write about that feeling I get from being with them and watching them grow. 

I use to travel for work.  And I always became anxious at the end of the trip.  The plane taxiing to the gate was always longer and the highway traffic was always thicker.  But coming home late at night and seeing my kids sleeping, feeling their breath on my cheek - that is the stuff right there!  And that morning hug?  Nothing better.

When you write what you know, the song becomes more meaningful for you and also strikes a deeper chord with the listener.

Here's a link to "Returning to my Heart".  A song written for my boys and if you are a parent, hopefully it can have some meaning for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment